Character definition: The character is the whole of personal characteristics, or you can say human behavior or psychology, which are both determined and learned. It is the strength of a person. A person with Good character is a person with good thoughts, good behavior, & good actions.
Basic traits of the human characters for example are;
Positive Traits: Loyalty, Loving. Kindness, Faithfulness, Patience, Persistence, Spirituality.
Negative Traits: Dishonesty, Meanness, Rudeness, Greed. Cruelty, Selfishness, Unmercifulness.
How to change our character?
Every work that we do, every movement of the body, every thought that we think, leaves an impression on our mind. When a thought come & go, it creates an impression on our subconscious mind. What we are every moment is determined by the sum total of these impressions on the mind.
Within psychology, we assume that your character is determined in part by heredity. For example, some people have more tendency to be more anxious than others, which means that they are more likely to regularly experience panic attacks. Everyone who has multiple children knows that brothers and sisters differ very much in terms of character. Although you have a tendency to certain characteristics, you can certainly influence your character traits. Below I discuss a number of possibilities:
- Practice: Aristotle once said: “You are what you consistently do”. So if you are naturally introverted, you can certainly practice social situations to feel more at ease in these situations. For example, you could take a job as a street vendor or become a call center employee. You could also do improvisation theater or go to the Toastmasters. All situations in which you can practice social skills.
- Therapy: A lot of character traits are based on unconscious beliefs. For example, people are altruistic because they have learned that this is the only moral way to deal with others. A therapist can help you to map these beliefs and to investigate whether these beliefs still work for you. Keep in mind that changing your character traits may take some time. It is no coincidence that treating personality disorders sometimes takes a year or even longer.
- Accept: Of course, this is not really a way to change your character traits, but it is an effective way to deal with it. You could say that you are not working on changing the properties, but rather on changing the situation in which you need those characteristics.
The best way is to go for Character Establishment
What I am just at this moment is the effect of the sum total of all the impressions of my past life. This is really what is meant by character; each man’s character is determined by the sum total of these impressions. If good impressions prevail, the character becomes good; if bad, it becomes bad. If a man continuously hears bad words, thinks bad thoughts, does bad actions, his mind will be full of bad impressions; and they will influence his thought and work without his being conscious of the fact. In fact, these bad impressions are always working, and their resultant must be evil, and that man will be a bad man; he cannot help it.
The sum total of these impressions in him will create a strong motive power for doing bad actions. He will be like a machine in the hands of his impressions, and they will force him to do evil. Similarly, if a man thinks good thoughts and does good works, the sum total of these impressions will be good; and they, in a similar manner, will force him to do good even in spite of himself. When a man has done so much good work and thought so many good thoughts that there is an irresistible tendency in him to do good, in spite of himself and even if he wishes to do evil, his mind, as the sum total of his tendencies, will not allow him to do so; the tendencies will turn him back; he is completely under the influence of the good tendencies. When such is the case, a man’s good character is said to be established
Character Explained further
Each character is unique and consists of characteristics that belong to a specific person. The character is the core of the personality. Certain parts of the personality can be trained or learned. It is often assumed that the character has unchangeable, stable characteristics. For example, human characteristics are helpful, protective, active, courageous and unstable.
People have been developing their character since birth. In babies, certain characteristics are immediately noticeable. For example, babies who sleep a lot are called introverts. Babies who are just the opposite and therefore sleep little are called extroverts. These properties are innate and can not be changed. People who are in their youth. Having received a lot of love , they generally have little difficulty in showing love to their loved ones and can better empathize with the feelings of others. Children who have had a difficult childhood often have more trouble making social contacts and being able to relocate with others in others. This is expressed in character feature as being shy of people and being aloof.
Animals also have a character and thus have character traits. These are mostly related to the type of breed they belong to. For example, Golden Retrievers are gentle, intelligent and energetic dogs with great stamina.
- If you really want to judge of the character of a man, look not at his great performances. Every fool may become a hero at one time or another. Watch a man do his most common actions; those are indeed the things which will tell you the real character of a great man. Great occasions rouse even the lowest of human beings to some kind of greatness, but he alone is the really great man whose character is great always, the same wherever he be.
- All the actions that we see in the world, all the movements in human society, all the works that we have around us, are simply the display of thought, the reality of the will of man. Machines or instruments, cities, ships, or men-of-war, all these are simply the reality of the will of man; and this will is caused by character, and character is manufactured by work he does or a destiny. As is destiny, so is the exhibition or proof of the will.
Importance Of Thoughts:
We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care of what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live, they travel far. Each thought we think is tinged with our own character so that for the pure and holy man, even his jokes or abuse will have the twist of his own love and purity and do good. The road to the Good is the roughest and steepest in the universe. It is a wonder that so many succeed, no wonder that so many falls. A character has to be established through a thousand stumbles.
When numerous of these impressions are left on the mind, they unite and become a habit. It is said, “Habit is second nature”, it is first nature also, and the whole nature of man; everything that we are is the result of habit. That gives us consolation, because, if it is the only habit, we can make and unmake it at any time. The impressions left by these vibrations passing out of our mind, each one of them leaving its result. Our character is the sum-total of these marks, and according to as some particular wave prevails one takes that tone. If good prevails, one becomes good; if wickedness, one becomes wicked; if joyfulness, one becomes happy.
The only remedy for bad habits is counter habits; all the bad habits that have left their impressions are to be controlled by good habits. Go on doing good, thinking holy thoughts continuously; that is the only way to suppress base impressions. Never say any man is hopeless because he only represents a character, a bundle of habits, which can be checked by new and better ones. A character is repeated habits, and repeated habits alone can reform character.
What are the features of Character?
When we talk about features or quality of character, we mean certain psychological characteristics of someone who determine how this person behaves in certain situations.
At first glance, it does not seem that difficult to describe someone’s character. We see that people generally behave in a predictable way. Nevertheless, the research into features of character is quite difficult. There are a number of factors that influence your character. There are:
- Your environment: Worried person will be brave if he has to bring his family to safety
- Culture: Some cultures identify behavior that is discouraged in other cultures. If you are talking about a character, you are looking for something that is separate from the culture within a person.
- Beliefs: When the most fearful person will be able to act boldly then it is to be understood that he is convinced, he need not be afraid of. And the most soft-spoken person will usually speak freely if he knows he is in a familiar environment.
You can change your character properties in part, but often it is much easier to look for a role that suits your natural qualities. The best way is to Go for Character establishment as discussed above. Create some support, consult your physician, behavioral therapist or take the support of Internet & conquer on your bad thoughts, bad habits.
Change your character to Good Character.
What is the purpose of your life?
This site gives you practical solutions for healing, developing & expressing through your existence here on Earth. If you want support for your everyday questions, concerns, inspiration & daring to make life-changing decisions, this program will provide you intelligent, loving & empowering support. Just take a look here! Just click on the image!